19/12/2011

Homemade Sugar Scrub ~ Perfect as a Gift for Friends, Family, Bridesmaids

I love the idea of making something as a way of thank you, what with all the help we get from family & friends during the run up to the wedding, many of us want to give a gift to show your appreciation.

{as a side note i also love this idea to do at a bridal shower, get all the ingredients together with different oils and the girls can mix their own scrubs, pack them and take home}

So most sugar scrubs have the same basics Some kind of sugar (organic, raw, white, or brown), some kind of oil (almond, avocado, olive, or vegetable), and some kind of essential oil to make it smell nice.

This DIY tutorial was by Darcy @ smart bottom enterprises

Sugar Scrub is so incredibly easy to make! You take your pick of ingredients, mix them until you like what you see and feel, pour it in a jar, and you're done! It takes all of 3 minutes to make. Kind of.

'Kind of' meaning that you could be finished right then and there, or you could be like me and spend the next 3 hours fancying up all the jars to make them pretty. I just can't give a naked jar as a gift. It goes against everything I believe in.

Anyway, here's what I used for the basic sugar scrub:

Demerara Sugar /Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
Brown Sugar
Olive Oil
Sweet Orange and Peppermint Essential Oil 
Aloe Vera Gel
Mason Jars

I didn't really measure anything, but I probably did a 50-50 ratio of the sugars to the olive oil. I started with just the Turbinado Sugar and Olive Oil, but the mixture was a little too coarse for my liking, so I added regular Brown Sugar until I got a consistency that seemed nice. Then I added drops of the Sweet Orange and Peppermint Essential Oil until the scrub smelled wonderful. And I added some Aloe Vera Gel, because it's good and I happened to have some. I don't know if the Aloe made any difference. But I like it, so there you go.

Oh man, sugar scrub is good! I kept trying it out on my hands as I mixed it. It made them soft and luxurious! I do have a little warning for you, though. If you use it in the bath or shower, be careful because the oil in the scrub can make your bathtub slippery. I wouldn't want anyone to fall and break a hip. For me, the danger is totally worth the sugar scrub experience. But you could also just keep a jar of it at the sink and only use it on your hands. Because look at it! It's gorgeous.





After I finished mixing, I filled all my Mason jars with the goodness.
Then I printed up some cute little labels for the top and mod podged them on. I'm hoping they'll be a little more water resistant that way. I also printed up some instructions and hot glued them to the side of the jar. I figured once the sugar scrub recipient reads the directions, she can take that part off if she wants.




I tied a little wooden craft spoon to the side of each jar with raffia.




Then I wrapped each one in a clear goodie bag. Extra fancy!
Totes doable right? personally I love i love Ylang Ylang, Lavender, or Bergamot for the essential oils

oh and if you want to pretty your jars up with lace? of course you do, then check out this DIY fabric and lace jars tutorial by Sara at Under the Vintage Veil

with thanks to Darcy, originally seen on smart bottom enterprises


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing what you think...